Lately, I've been looking for a job.
For the past 5-6 years, I've been a graphic designer, but I tire of the "make this for me, I'm not creative, but I am sneaky with money so while you're busy designing, I'll rob you blind" world of advertising...
Needless to say, I am taking the first steps toward my life-long dream of being a minister.
I plan on going to Wheaton College in the fall of 05. In the mean time, I need a job that has benefits, won't exploit me, and will be flexible... surprisingly, I found it.
I applied at the Starbucks in our area on a whim. Surely the money, benefits and hours I would get would not be enough... but nay, I was wrong. I have been a faithful patron of Starbucks for quite some time. I enjoy the people, the coffee and the environment. But, to tell the truth, when the assistant manager called for an interview, I took it mostly for the free coffee I knew I'd get... To my surprise, the health plans are fantastic, the benefits are very good, and after a pretty impressive interview, they offered me the hours I wanted... 40. I went back for a second interview on Saturday, and this time, met the store manager. The store is the highest volume store in the area, and they have a shift manager position opening up. By the end of the interview, we set it up that I would come on board for 3 weeks as a Barista (hourly worker) and then move up to shift manager in my 4th week. This is good news for me, as the pay moves up about $2 an hour at that point. Plus, I'd still get tips...
So it looks very promising. I can definitely see doing this during college, and it really seems like a nice place to work. The biggest surprise to me, was that Starbuck's founders seem to have set up their system to not take advantage of their employees. Their computer system doesn't even allow them to schedule someone to open the store if they closed the night before. Their salary positions get overtime pay for any hours over 40, and the minute you start training to be a higher position, you get that position's pay. Pretty cool...
Anyway, that's where the job situation stands. I finish up at my current job during the month of September while training at the new. By the time I finish at the current, I'll be starting my training for the shift manager's position.
Later.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment