Friday, September 10, 2004

September 11th is tomorrow.

And all I can think about is our dads' birthdays.
Sarah's dad celebrates his tomorrow on the big 911, and my dad has his b-day on the 15th. We're gonna hang with the inlaws on Sunday, and unfortunately, we don't have the moolah to drive to Ohio to be with my folks... The sacrifices of living so far away... but this distance is nothing compared to when they are in Africa, so we definitely should make the most of this situation while we can.

I don't know what it is about 911 that makes me not care.
I seriously feel that we, as Americans, are so unaccustomed to having large numbers of people die that when it happens, we expect the world to stop. Columbia has an earthquake and 5,000 people die. We don't even notice... Monsoons happen in Cambodia, Volcanos in the ring of fire... We don't care. The number of homeless people who die in US cities every day completely shadow the numbers of soldiers we lost in Iraq that day, and those numbers are completely obliterated by the thousands who die in Africa of aids every single day. But then a tragedy strikes us. We were attacked. Thousands of OUR people died, and we want the world to stop. We want them to band together and acknowlede our loss... to share in our grief, and to avenge our dead. I just don't see it. When the train station in Spain was bombed earlier this year, I didn't see any Americans pause for a moment to honor their dead... After all, they don't effect our lives. I feel as though we're a kid who burned his fingers on the stove. When we arrive at the hospital, and see the people in the burn unit with their full body 3rd degree burns, instead of being humbled, we demand their attention and sympathy. If we're really as tough as we think we are... maybe we should handle events like this as the rest of the world does. Realize that things like this happen, try to prevent it from happening again, and move on.

No comments: