Saturday, May 06, 2006

Big news.

Well, I did promise some big news on the way, and even though it's not all the way solid yet... it's time.

A few weeks ago, at the hotel, I was approached by the head of human resources, who asked me if I'd be interested in a different job at the hotel. I've had the valet supervisor position in my sights since I started, and it has been pretty much assumed that I would step into that job fairly soon.

I told her I'm always interested in new opportunities, and she said that she had recommended me for the position of management trainee. It's a job that's only been filled once before, and the guy that had the job is the son of the owner of the Broadmoor, Colorado Springs' most respected resort. His dad wanted him to have a job that would enable him to see every aspect of the hotel business, and wanted it to happen at a place where he wouldn't be "the owner's son" so he chose us. I told her absolutely, and she set up an interview with herself later the next week. The job would consist of moving from department to department, 3 months or so at a time, and learning the ropes. It's an amazing opportunity, and I'm thinking about it heavily.

Robin's interview was really boring, but had some decent info. She was happy with it, and set up interviews with the 4 top people at our hotel.

I had those interviews on Thursday and Friday. PJ, the highest ranking of the folks I met with, is the sales manager for the entire company. She is amazing. Working with her would be a gigantic learning experience in and of itself. Her knowledge, and intuition of positioning alone is unparalleled in the company. It's been said of her that she could be vice president of pyramid (our owning company) in a breath.

My interview with her came first, but the great thing is that I've interviewed with her before. The day I applied for a job at the Antlers, I initially applied for the job of sales assistant (a secretary, but I didn't know that) and she said I could have the job if I wanted, but I was like her, and I'd go nuts in a week, inputting data, and setting up appointments. She sent me down to Peter at the front desk, and the rest is history. The second interview went incredibly well. She feels as though she knows me, and basically laid out what the job would look like for me. She said I wouldn't be bored, because in many ways, it's crisis management. They'll send me into a department that's hemoraging, and throw me in the middle of it yelling "have fun! learn alot! do well!" Which is precicely what I want. I've often said that I do great in a crisis. It's regular life I have trouble with. The last guy did a great job in that kind of environment, and apparently I've been compared with him quite often in management circles.

I moved on from PJ to our controller, Colin. He is a really cool guy, for being an accountant. He had even more insight into the job, and asked alot of really good questions. At one point in the interview, he said "I'm not calling your knowledge of 'hospitality' into question, pretty much anybody here will say that if anyone at our hotel knows what hopitality is, it's you." I was pretty stoked. He went on to ask if I thought I'd be up to discipline as part of the job, but I was able to use several instances from my time as a manager for Starbucks to settle that subject. I actually enjoy getting things straightened out. I see it as helping the group, not attacking the individual. If they're making everybody else's jobs harder, it ends up hurting them too.

My next interview lasted an hour, as opposed to the half hour interviews so far. I met with the hotel manager, Ron. Ron and I have had countless conversations, and I really appreciate his input. He runs the hotel very well, and is the best person I've seen in that kind of position. We talked a bit about the job, and then moved on to what Sarah and I want for the future. Ron shared some stories, and we talked about what I would need to do, and the mindset I would need, "when" I got the job. He said "when" instead of "if" three times. I couldn't feel more confident about things at that point.

My fourth interview took place yesterday with the head of food and beverage. He ranks lower than the others, but I would almost definitely end up in the restaurants first if I take this job. The food and beverage part of our hotel is really hurting for quality people lately, and needs help. I think that it was set up so Frank could judge whether I would fit with the crew. He and I are already quite aquainted, so it ended up with him monologuing for quite awhile. I interjected when needed, but I think he's pretty set on me, and that's what matters in this case, so I'm happy.

My last interview is with Larry V. the vice president of Pyramid, and that happens on Tuesday. Larry and I have a great repoire, and he was the one that read the letter from the customer at the company wide meeting. The one that was about me. He knows me, and my attitude, so I'm pretty excited about getting to interview with him.

Now, the job is an 18 month commitment, and after that, they'll offer me a management position where I excelled, and where there's a position available. At this moment, I'm just excited to learn the ropes in every corner of the hotel.

Well, that's the scoop. It's pretty big. Sarah was mentioning to me the other day that this has never happened for us until now. I always invest a ton in my employer, try my hardest, and generally I'm applauded, but never paid more. I've not been approached for anything like this in such a serious manner before, and we are excited to see where it leads.

It's amazing that just 3 months ago, I was out of a job, trying to find a way to pay our rent and eat... God is so good, and has sustained us. Soon we hope to have everyone paid off, that helped us, and on our way to being stable.

Thanks again everybody for your support, and your continued prayers. We love you.

6 comments:

Jim said...

That sounds amazing, bro! I hope it is the ticket to a great destination for you. Not much news here, other than lots of changes taking place at ol' MSP. Did you know Marv is retiring? MANY people have left and some new ones have arrived, it is a completely different place and there are more changes coming! You have a LOT to be thankful for my friend! A LOT. Keep that nose to the grindstone.

James said...

Read that Joe K. went to the carribean.
Pretty vwogq cool.

No offense to Marv, but he should've retired 5-10 years ago. For his own stress levels. I swear that place has taken at least a decade off his life expectancy.

I always loved that mouse trap his wife had on her cubicle that said "Complaints department: Push button for service."

The Miller family said...

Hallelujah! thanks for the details. wow, God is so good! we will be praying for you!

love,
mom m

Jim said...

Yeah, and Joe K took his wife, Mom and Aunt! Is that guy shooting for sainthood or what?!?!? The pics he had were great, did you get the link to his online scrapbook? Email me if you didn't & I will get it for you. Looked like fun. My sisters all took my test this past week and you'll be happy to know 2 of them only got a 60! Oddly enough, the one I have always called "F Maker" (since we were little, a great story I'll share sometime, but now all us siblings call her that!) scored a 100!!! I was impressed. Anyway, your dismal 40 wasn't too far under the curve. It still wasn't exactly zxjrapfx though, LOL...

Anonymous said...

hey jim hope the final interview went well!

you'll knock the gxnibac off of them

Tammy said...

PTL I am so happy that you are doing so well. God is really taking care of you and the fam.
I love you.