Saturday, June 03, 2006

Life with a baby.

Well, I haven't really had a chance to write much this week. I hope the pictures have sufficed to a degree. I will continue to post those... so you shouldn't have to worry about a complete lack of content from the Jim camp.

Hezekiah has been incredible. He is such a good baby. At this point, he really doesn't know what to do if he's awake other than eat, so he can be frustrated, and root around for food even if he isn't hungry. But this morning, he seemed to get that he can just lay there and look around. And that's what he did. It was great. He's been laying and looking for like an hour now. He has such big beautiful eyes. He's very lively, and very strong. He flipped himself over at 4 days old, which is almost unheard of, and he can do it whenever, so it wasn't just a fluke. The good thing is that I got it on video, so I can prove it. I've burned cds with pics and videos for our parents. I'd like to do more, but I ran out of cds. Things always go that way. I want to manipulate the video files into smaller sizes so I can send them via email, but we don't have the upgraded version of quicktime, which would be the best way to do that. So if you want videos, and want to buy the baby a present... just kidding. We'll get the upgrade as soon as we can, and then it will be video heaven.

Work went well this week. I haven't gotten any flack, with the exception of a few front desk agents that feel for some reason that I should inherently know how the front desk software works before I'm a manager in their department. They apparently missed the "Trainee" memo. And even if I wasn't, often times, you are called to manage the people who do a job, without knowing how to do it yourself yet. That's why you learn. Everyone else has been awesome. I got to go to a couple meetings this week, and that was incredible. Such a fun group of people. Javier, my favorite manager, was in a meeting with me, and the subject of conversation among the other managers was mice. Night audit said that they saw something little and brown running from the restaurant to the Summit ballroom. Javier looked up with a guilty look and said "Was it me?" I love these people.

Sarah's healing steadily, and apparently winning the breastfeeding battle. Everyone's emails and myspace comments have really been encouraging her, so thank you. She's droppin weight pretty quickly, despite the fact that Kiah hasn't been breastfeeding from the get-go.

Oh, music. I really gave alot of thought to what Kiah should hear first. What kind of music would be best? Should it be something that matters to Sarah and I? Should it be something slow or fast? Well, I decided that something timeless and high quality. So I decided on Beethoven. I know, it seems so blasé. Tons of people listen to Beethoven, especially with a baby, because "It makes their brains develop faster..." blah blah blah. But I really felt that if one is going to be introduced to music, it should be a moment of unique beauty. One that encapsulates why music matters so much. Why it is what it is. All hard and soft music alike relies on music's amazing ability to stir the soul. And Ludwig Van stirs the soul. In every piece of music he touched... nearly deaf... he felt the essence of music so personally that he can reach into my soul every single time. I decided that the first piece of music by Beethoven that touched me, the moonlight sonata, would be an appropriate place to start. Something subtle, something beautiful... something perfect. I sat in the rocking chair I bought Sarah for our upcoming 5th anniversary. (It's the wooden anniversary, and I couldn't think of a more suiting present for the wooden anniversary. I have to thank Sarah's mom for the idea...) Anyway. He was laying in my arms, and had been grunting around. When the music started, he just stopped moving, tilted his head back, and stared into space. Listening. It was perfect. I had his bottle, and started to feed him, but every now and then, he'd do the same move. Stop eating, lean back, and stare off. It was so touching. I know that many people wouldn't even give a second thought to what their child's first exposure to music was... but I am not those people, and I know the effect it has had on my entire life. My world view. My loves and hates... My being. And I desperately want my son to share that with me, as Sarah has.

Well, we're off to a baby shower today. I need to go, but I love you all and am so thankful for all your wonderful comments.

Peace and thank you.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

In my opinion that was a perfect choice for Kiah's first exposure to music. The moonlight sonata is my favorite piece from Beethoven.

Love
Kaitlin

Ryan Wallace said...

I disagree wholeheartedly. While Ludwig Van was indeed the best "Van" of his time, there is no doubt that Edward Van and Alexander Van have offered up many numbers that would do the trick. "And The Cradle Will Rock" seems tremendously appropriate.

And for those who don't know who Edward Van and Alexander Van are, well, trust me, I shalt not allow The Kiah to be amongst you!

James said...

There will be a time when Kiah will be able to hum the bars of "Eruption."

But we'll give him a little time to work up to that.

We don't want to qmrkqsr him just yet...

Tammy said...

Wow you really got me there. I don't know what I would play first for Eowyn. I mean I really want to find out if she really does like Led Zeplin or if she hates it. We went to a lazer show that was to all led music and she bounced around through the whole thing. I am pretty sure if we play one song by him we will find out by her reaction if she likes him or not. I don't think we will play alot of that for her though even if she does like it. Not the most pure and uplifting music known to man.
Now I will have to think about it.

Ryan Wallace said...

That Led Zeppelin sure was a cool guy...

Rzqgfrrrrrrr...