To understand why this song is here... read the preceding entry, entitled "Pedro Problems".
"Start Without Me"
Verse 1:
Roll me over, I wanna wave at the kids.
I can't say I prescribe 'cause I don't know what it is.
I'm down at the track I'm just calling to check in.
If you start without me, say my name as you begin.
Chorus:
It's not like it wasn't all for you...
but like everything I do, it's misunderstood.
Verse 2:
Take a message, I'm on my way out of town.
But the wording's important, so make sure you write it down.
There's money behind every picture in the place...
Sincerely, your husband, on my way to the next race.
Bridge:
If it's once, I got it.
If it's twice, I don't...
Repeat Chorus 2x
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Ok... Now for interpretations:
Interpretation one. Just as it appears to be. (According to me.)
Roll me over, I wanna wave at the kids.
I can't say I prescribe 'cause I don't know what it is.
I have no idea what he's talking about... perhaps the talking character is an invalid. Perhaps elderly...
I'm down at the track I'm just calling to check in.
If you start without me, say my name as you begin.
Ok. The main character is a gambler. "Start without me" possibly refers to a meal?
It's not like it wasn't all for you...
but like everything I do, it's misunderstood.
Maybe a guilt trip or justification of the reason the main character isn't present?
Take a message, I'm on my way out of town.
But the wording's important, so make sure you write it down.
Back to the fact that the main character is not home, and is calling on the phone... The message appears to be to the writer's wife. It would appear that the bridge, "If it's once I got it, if it's twice I don't" is the end of the message listed below.
There's money behind every picture in the place...
Sincerely, your husband, on my way to the next race.
The reference to money implies that the writer might not make it back, or at least not make it back in time to provide for the family's needs... necessitating the wife to know where to find his stashed money.
If it's once, I got it.
If it's twice, I don't...
Perhaps the number of telephone rings he will use as a signal to let her know the outcome of his wager?
Interpretation two. Reachy version... with alot of religious references.
Roll me over, I wanna wave at the kids.
I can't say I prescribe 'cause I don't know what it is.
Still have no idea what he's talking about.
I'm down at the track I'm just calling to check in.
If you start without me, say my name as you begin.
The "track" is a symbol for a place of neglect. The family sees it as a place they never go. A place where they cannot go. In some ways, many christians feel abandoned by God in their everyday life because they do not "feel" Him in a tangible way. The meal eaten without the father, is perhaps a symbol of human life without feeling God's presence in a tangible way... thus, the "Say my name as you begin" refers to prayer. Specifically prayer before a meal. The way it's said, so flatly, implies it being an empty, "going through the motions" tradition.
It's not like it wasn't all for you...
but like everything I do, it's misunderstood.
Perhaps a reference to Christ's sacrifice for us, and the lack of gratitude or aknowledgement of His act, shown on our part?
Take a message, I'm on my way out of town.
But the wording's important, so make sure you write it down.
Perhaps a reference to Jesus' ascention into heaven. The fact that his disciples wrote his words down after he left the earth seems to be a viable interpretation of this line if we keep with the spiritual interpretation...
There's money behind every picture in the place...
Sincerely, your husband, on my way to the next race.
If we continue our line of thinking, perhaps this is an allusion to the value of the content in those writings. All that is needed is to "look behind" what Jesus left us, his message, to realize the riches we have because of Him. (Not money, but strength, peace, and forgiveness)
If it's once, I got it.
If it's twice, I don't...
Absolutely no idea how this would fit into the second interpretation I have provided... Oh well.
So there you have it... opinions welcome and encouraged.
Thanks,
Jim
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment