Sunday, October 17, 2004

Long Time, No Write...

I am so sorry. I have been so bad at writing lately...

I've had such a busy week, and been so uninspired to write, that it's not funny. I am back in the mood however, and will attempt to catch you all up.

The Starbucks
At Starbucks, I finally got myself certified on the bar, and I am now an official Barista. Officially out of training... I'm still a bit shaky on the bar, but given a few weeks, I'll be just as solid as anybody there.

The Sarah
Sarah's been sick this week. She stayed home from work one day, and school the next. It's just a really bad cold, but please keep her in your prayers.

The Wedding
Yesterday, we went to our friend's wedding. It was definitely a unique experience. First of all, the bride is Catholic, and the groom is Lutheran, and in opposition to years of "Well, one of us has to switch..." they decided to do a joint Catho-Lutheran wedding. It was held at a really beautiful Catholic parish, and the service was co-officiated by the priest of that parish, and the pastor of the groom's Lutheran church. It was really strange to sit there and watch two groups of people that were killing eachother as heretics just 500 years ago, just peachy with officiating a marriage together. The sermon the priest gave was one of the worst structured orations I've ever heard in a church. He started off by saying, "In the time of Moses, about a hundred years before Christ..." Yeah, LET'S TRY 2,000!!! Of course, several minutes later, he jumped to the gospel of John and back to Genesis which now was written "several hundred centuries" before Christ. So if you are going to make a mistake in your facts while speaking, only do it once... then correct the mistake. Don't underestimate the time by 20, than multiply it by 200... The rest of the message was a big goopy sermon on love. Love, love love... That's all God's about. Justice, truth, mercy, holiness... those are hidden behind the curtain of big fat santa clause God.

Anyway, in the defense of the marriage ceremony, the music was fantastic. They had one man singing, a piano, a cello, and a violin. They were amazing. Ave Maria was breathtaking, even though the practice is confusing as a whole.

Afterwards, we hung out with the bride, groom and other family and friends at Adam Nielson's house. A highly entertaining time, as we got to meet Adam's brother Jeremy, and talk to a bunch of really fun people. The bride's brothers are hilarious. A great deal of the conversation that went on centered around alchohol consumption, but I don't really hold that against them... As the groom, who's in the Navy put it, It was a "Double-Irish-Catholic-Sailor Wedding" so what can you expect? The reception wasn't until 6pm, and the wedding was at 11 in the morning, so we had a few hours there. Ok, now it's time for the funniest story of the wedding. You deserve it for reading this far... The night before the wedding, at the rehearsal dinner, one of the waitresses at the restaurant accidentally gave the 3-year old ringbearer a gin and tonic instead of the sprite his mother ordered for him. Under normal circumstances, and in a normal family, the kid would've spit it out, the mother smelled it, and a law suit would've insued. In this family however, it went down with junior drinking almost the whole thing, and noone discovering what had happened until someone observed that while he was running wildly around in circles, he wasn't blinking... after smelling the little lush's breath, and determining what happened, they just brushed it off as the funniest thing they'd ever heard. Which it is. Needless to say, that he did not have a baby-hangover the next day, and that he was still tearing up the dance floor the next night.

The reception was alot of fun, but weird. We sat with The Sean, and most of the boyfriends, husbands, girlfriends and wives of the bridal party. It was fun, and we got to see our old friend Francis Gadbois. Someone we haven't seen in over a year. The dinner was fine, and we went out and danced later. I got corralled into taking pictures with our friend's camera because her boyfriend was apparently not skilled enough... oh well. It was a fun evening, and we left around 10:30.

Well... That's it for the wedding.
I'm trying to think of anything I missed from the week.

Oh, my sister got the results back from her tumor tests, and she has something wrong with her, but they can treat it with medication. It is not, however, a tumor.

I got a letter from Mami Kamata, the younger sister of my dear friend Erina Kamata. Mami is currently studying in Britain, and is enjoying her time there. Erina still lives in Japan, but would love to live here. We'd love that too...

We've been invited to several Halloween parties... Geesh... not a whole heckuva lot going on other than work and school and sleep and eat...

I'll write more later. As more happens...

Later,
Jim

No comments: