Well. About 5 years ago, Ryan, my best friend, and I were having a discussion regarding our favorite songs. I was hard pressed to come up with a list of fav. songs... albums are easy for me, but songs... there's just too many!
Well, anyway. 5 years in the making. I finally have my top 15. 10 wasn't enough, and 20 is too many. So 15 it is.
I'm going to start at 15 and go up to 1, giving my reasons. Please consider these songs required listening. I encourage you to purchase or pirate these, depending on your feelings regarding the record industry.
------------------------
Number 15. "Make you feel that way" by Blackalicious
This song is a fantastic feel good song, and that's not normally something you can say about rap. It has a great instrumental background with a soft trumpet and crackling record sounds, layered with a totally soothing vocal discussing things that make you feel good in life. From promotions at your job to winning your first fight. It's a song that seems truly made for driving down the road with the windows down in the summer. It's awesome, and it's my number 15 favorite song of all time.
Number 14. "Dynamite walls" by Hayden
Dynamite walls is a quinticential Hayden song. Gravelly, but not Tom Waits-y. Moving, but not weak. Slow but never boring... It's a classic, and should be highly revered by any who value this style of musicianship. It deserves my number 14 because of its excellent construction, seamless flow, and touching lyrics.
Number 13. "Let down" by Radiohead
This is a totally depressing song if you listen to the words. If not, you may find it to be wonderfully uplifting. Either way, the opening guitar is totally and completely unique. (Not to mention a fantastic ringtone for your cell...) Radiohead at their best in my opinion, and #13 on my list.
Number 12. "Sleeping in" by the Postal Service
Deathcab for Cutie has some incredible music, but as the Postal Service, they totally carved out a niche. There is no single band out there that plays this music. Sleeping in is never boring, always a great sing-a-long, and has a lyrical depth that completely catches the listener by surprise. It's a great tune, and my #12.
Number 11. "Inertiatic E.S.P." by the Mars Volta
The Mars Volta have what I consider to be the best drumming in rock music today. This song encapsulates their drum style. It is deep and flowing, with bursts of pure energy and passion. Sweeping melodies, and soaring vocals carry the intensity of this song to the edge. It is a must have. A must abso-freakin-lutely have for every drummer, and rock fan on the planet!
Number 10. "Ball & biscuit" by the White Stripes
I'll stop at #10 today. There are so many songs by the White Stripes that could easily be on my top 10, but I simply don't want any band having too prominent a place in the list. I respect their music so much, and feel that Jack White is everything that is right in rock today. His music is classic and new, aggressive and penetrating, with honesty, flair and a rock-n-roll spirit, the White Stripes' Elephant album was what I believe to be the best album of the new millenium. One song off the album that solidified it for me was Ball and Biscuit. It's so bluesy and real. The lyrics are unparalleled in modern rock. His swinging machismo is such a refreshing slap in the face to all of the superficial money/girls/fame rockers of the radio set. Here's to the White Stripes becoming a commercial success despite their awesomeness.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
"Here's to the White Stripes becoming a commercial success despite their awesomeness."
Exactly. It is such backward thinking compared to most of society, but that's how I feel too. That truly awesome bands don't make it. And when they do, it's usually because they sell out and change their style. I hate it when my favorite grassroots bands make it big because they lose a big part of what makes them special.
Post a Comment